7018 has a very good deposition rate, providing a quiet steady arc with low spatter and medium penetration. Weld deposits are of X-ray quality with easy slag removal, exceptional mechanical properties and a smooth uniform bead appearance.
- Ultra smooth finely rippled weld beads.
- Less than 4.0 ml diffusible hydrogen level.
- Excellent impact notch toughness.
- Superior reliability for the critical welding of C-Mn microlloyed & low alloy structural steels.
- Recommended for critical security welding applications.
- Radiographic out of position welds including pipe welding.
- Suitable for off shore applications.
- Basic heavy coated, iron powder, low hydrogen electrode for producing tough and crack free welded joints even on steels having a carbon content up to 0.40%.
- Good operating characteristics when positional welding.
- Weld metal has good toughness properties down to -40°C.
7018 has excelleent operator appeal and may be used in any position with AC or DC (reverse polarity). APPLICATIONS: 7018 electrodes are used for many ASTM specifications.
More specific applications would include process piping, cold rolled steels such as found in heavy machinery fabrications, fired and unfired pressure vessels, shop and field welding of bridges and structural steels, cast steels, shipbuilding, just about any medium carbon, low alloy steel shere the welds are subject to X-ray inspection.
SPECIFICATIONS: ANSI/AWS A5.1 & ASME SFA 5.1 E7018
CHEMICAL COMPOSITION MECHANICAL PROPERTIES CARBON 0.08 Tensile Strength 71,000 psi SILICON 0.60 PHOSPHORUS 0.021 Yield Strength 81,000 psi MANGANESE 1.00 IRON Balance Elongation 30% SULFUR 0.011